621 customer reviewsClick To Read Reviews
- Easy Assembly and Use: Since the DuroStar DS4000S doesn’t come with an electric start, you wouldn’t be bothered with the onerous task of hooking up batteries when you unpack your new Generator. Simply add Oil and Gas, close the choke and pull the recoil start.
- Great value for money: The DuroStar DS4000S delivers a stunning 3,300 running Watts (4,000 surge Watts) for about half the price of portable generators in the same class. This makes it the portable Generator with one of the highest power-to-price ratio of any portable generator in the market.
- Easy to Read Fuel Gauge: It might not seem like much but having a fuel gauge that is easy to read is very important. A lot of generators do not have gauges, while some are awkwardly placed in some hard to read areas. But the fuel gauge on this portable generator is placed right where it is meant to be- close to the gas cap.
- Relatively Quiet Operation: conventional generators like the Durostar DS4000S are usually loud. But for this design, they have fitted a super quiet muffler and raised the motor mounts with rubber seating thereby isolating the motor. These 2 features make it possible for the generator to run at a 69dBA sound rating. This is about the same level of noise as a regular dishwater and therefore can allow you to converse naturally in its vicinity.
- Optional Wheel Kit: The Durostar DS4000S is relatively portable at 100 pounds. But if you frequently move the Portable Generator around, you might want to install the included optional wheel kit. It’s an easy task which you can do following the included directions.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to assemble and use
- Excellent Value
- Quiet operation
- Durable and easy to maintain
- Convenient and easy to read fuel gauge
- No 240V or DC output power
- Oil fill is difficult to access.
- No watt or amp meter
- Not CARB compliant
What People Who Bought The DuroStar DS4000S Love About It
“I have been using this generator for over a year now and it still starts at first pull. My wife and I use it every weekend to provide power for our camper and to power animatronics and lights on our haunted trail Halloween. It runs a little loud, but I built a plywood box around it which greatly muffled the sound. It’s a dependable workhorse and we love it.”
“Unbelievable generator for the price. Great buy! I use it a lot and I love it.”
“I bought this unit after Hurricane Maria (I’m in Puerto Rico). I cannot connect all the appliances in my house, but it’s been a wonderful convenience to be able to use the refrigerator and some light bulbs. The only reason I selected this one was because of the excellent reviews. It’s great. Please don’t run it for a long time daily.”
|Engine Type OHV:||4 Stroke|
|Peak Amps:||20 amps|
|Running Amps:||30 amps|
|AC Voltage:||120 Volts|
|AC Frequency:||60 Hz|
|Engine Horse Power (HP):||7.0 HP|
|Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR):||No|
|Sound Levels (dBA):||69 dBA|
|Low Oil Shutdown:||Yes|
|Fuel Shut Off:||Automatic|
|Fuel Tank Material:||Steel|
|Fuel Tank Capacity:||4.0 gal.|
|Run Time at 50% Load:||8 hrs.|
|Gasoline Fuel Gauge:||Yes|
|AC Outlets:||(2) 120V, 20-amp, 3-prong; (1) 120-volt, 30-amp twist-lock|
|Transfer Switch Ready:||No|
|Overload Protection (circuit breaker):||Yes|
|Wheel Kit Included:||Yes|
|Canada CSA Compliant:||No|
Best suited for…
This Durostar DS4000 can be used as an emergency power back-up for homes, for camping, and for offsite jobsites.
Reasons to buy
If you are looking for a compact, affordable generator to power your basic appliances during an outage, for camping or for powering tools at remote jobsites, then there is no better conventional generator that delivers so much power for so little money. It offers the best deal, dollar for dollar than any other generator in the market.
Not only is the DuroStar DS4000S outrageously affordable for the power it produces, it is also a very reliable model that has been tested in the toughest of circumstances.
This portable generator would have been the perfect recommendation for everyone except for those looking for more power.
However, it has the best value for money if what you just need is enough power to run a big fridge/freezer, dishwasher, coffee maker, TV, DVD and lighting points.