Whether you're heading for a camping trip or live in an area where power outages occur frequently, you need a reliable backup power source that will cover at least your basic power usage needs. For this purpose, your best shot is to get yourself a portable generator. Not just any generator, however. Since buying one can be a significant investment, you should ensure your purchase is well-thought and researched. To help you make the right call, I've prepared the following buyer's guide to the best portable generators available in 2022.
I've personally tested a wide range of generators to provide you with the most relevant and in-depth reviews of all the best portable generators you can read about below. Whether you're looking for a dual-fuel portable generator, standby generator, inverter generator, gas-powered portable generator, or solar-powered generator, the following guide to my top 10 portable generators has got you covered.
- Best Portable Generator: Our Top Picks:
- 1.WEN 56380i: Super Quiet 3800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- 2. Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt Companion Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 3. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant
- 4. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel 12000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
- 5. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
- 6. Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start - CARB Compliant
- 7. Honda Eu7000is Inverter Generator with Electronic Fuel Injection
- 8. Honda EU3000iS 3000Watt Portable Generator
- 9. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (EPA)
- 10. Duromax XP4850EH Dual Fuel 4850 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
- 11. Champion 3100 Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- 12. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator
- 13. Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator - CARB Compliant
- How to Choose the Perfect Portable Generator?
- Final Thoughts
Best Portable Generator: Our Top Picks:
1.WEN 56380i: Super Quiet 3800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
There’s a whole lot to like about the WEN 56380i. After all, there's a reason why it occupies the number one spot on my list. For a start, its sleek, modern design looks great, and it’s really sturdy. Additionally, it’s EPA III and CARB compliant and can be used in any state. Long story short, it's a fantastic portable inverter generator that will serve brilliantly as an emergency power source, whether you're at home or on an RV camping trip.
The WEN 56380i 3800- Watt portable generator is a little heavier than the 200-watt model, but it packs a real punch and runs quietly enough not to upset any neighbors who might be living close by. On top of that, the WEN 56380i is one of the easiest portable inverter generators in terms of usage and maintenance so that you'll be able to start it quickly in case of a power outage emergency.
What I love about this model is its relatively long half-load run time of up to 8.5 hours, during which it generates enough running power output to run all your basic appliances. It also works well if you want to power small devices and more sensitive electronics as it produces clean power to prevent any damage.
Other than that, the WEN 56380i comes with wheels and a handle that make it more convenient to move around, as well as a fuel shutoff that maximizes the generator's lifespan.
- Super Quiet
- CARB Compliant
- Can be run in parallel for even more power
- Low oil and low fuel automatic shutdown
- Fully RV ready
- A little heavy
The WEN 56380i 3000-Watt generator is a powerful compact model that will work brilliantly as your home backup power source. It will provide your home appliances with enough power output to operate efficiently during a possible outage, and since it's astonishingly quiet, it won't annoy your neighbors. In fact, its efficiency, decent runtime, and quiet operating mode are what make this WEN model a perfect portable generator for your RV camping needs as well.
In other words, it's an all-around portable power generator that will provide you with all you may need from one. And what's best about it, the WEN 56380i 3000-Watt generator won't ruin your budget as it's surprisingly cheap for the many benefits it provides, especially when compared to Honda generators.
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops
2. Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt Companion Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
Honda is well-known for delivering top-quality generators, and the EU2200i model is the ideal proof for that statement. This powerful yet quiet generator provides a reliable backup power supply in a compact, lightweight package.
The 120cc GXR engine has a maximum output of 2200 watts, which is enough to power major appliances and construction equipment. It also has a built-in inverter so that it can safely charge mobile phones and other sensitive electronics like your LCD TV. The great feature is, of course, the operating noise of just 57 decibels, which is far quieter than most portable generators available.
The key feature of the Honda EU2200i, however, is its patented fuel injection system. Unlike other generators with carbureted engines, the EU2200i’s engine blends fuel and air more efficiently. It results in a cleaner burn with less waste, which is something I really like about this model. There is also an automatic decompressor system that makes startups easier and more reliable.
For power saving, the Honda EU2200i has a built-in EcoThrottle system. The technology allows the generator to adjust its fuel consumption to the current load, allowing a run time of up to EIGHT HOURS without refueling, which is an impressive result.
- Fuel injection technology for better fuel efficiency and cleaner emissions
- Low operating noise for comfort and convenience
- Lightweight design with ergonomic carrying handles makes it easily portable
- Produces true sine wave power for your electronic devices
- Does not come with an automatic starter and emits a strong gas smell while running
- Limited fuel tank capacity
Summing it all up, the Honda EU2200i is a powerful and reliable yet quiet generator that will work brilliantly when powering appliances during an emergency power outage. On top of that, its fuel injection and patented EcoThrottle system ensure fuel efficiency and provide a high power load.
However, despite its fuel efficiency, the 1-gallon tank can quickly dry up, especially when the generator is used at full capacity. It also has no electric start system, which is now a standard in portable gas-powered models of its class. Still, it's a great portable inverter generator that will serve you well for many years.
- Built-in 30 Amp outlet - the EU2200i companion offers one 30 Amp receptacle for RV applications (requires optional adapter) and one 20 Amp receptacle, the 30 Amp receptacle allows 2 EU2200i models to...
- Lightweight and compact - weighing less than 47 lbs., the EU2200i Companion generator is incredibly lightweight and portable, thanks to Honda's inverter technology, it's easy to get it to where power is needed
- A fuel shutoff valve ("Fuel Off" position) allows the engine to continue to run until the majority of the fuel in the carburetor is consumed and the engine shuts off, which helps prevent stale fuel
- An increase in the ventilation area of 2.31 square inches compared with the outgoing model reduces cabinet air intake resistance, resulting in improved inverter cooling
- A bigger oil filler opening, a longer spout, and larger oil drain gutter make for easier and cleaner oil changes
3. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant
The second WEN generator in top-three should show you just how great their power tools are. And having tested numerous WEN inverter generators, I can with a clear conscience recommend the WEN 56200i model. If you need a portable inverter generator that's big on power but not on noise, this 2000-Watt generator is an ideal choice. Although, in my opinion, it's not as good as the 56380i model, the 56200i is still a powerful and reliable generator that should meet all your possible power needs.
As for technical aspects, the WEN 56200i is EPA- and CARB-compliant, with a 79cc 4-stroke OHC engine free of voltage spikes and drops. The unit cranks out a maximum of 2,000 watts and 1,600 rated watts. However, one of its most impressive features is that it can be connected to FIVE devices simultaneously, making it a fantastic option for camping trips.
On top of that, despite the potent power output, the 56200i has an average operating noise of only 51 decibels, which is no louder than an air conditioner or a normal conversation and certainly less than most generators available. It also generates a harmonic distortion of 1.2 percent on full, making it safe enough to recharge sensitive electronic devices, such as laptops and smartphones.
Another key feature of the 56200i generators is the Wen Eco-Mode. It allows the motor to adjust its fuel consumption based on the number of devices plugged into its power outlets, cutting down fuel wastage and saving you more money. I had my doubts before regarding this mode myself, but after using it, I have to say it works exceptionally well.
- Extremely quiet operation
- Lightweight design at only 48 pounds for easy transport
- Minimal harmonic distortion making it safe to use with sensitive electronics
- Low fuel tank capacity
- Overloads when connected to large equipment or high-drainage electronic devices
- The plastic shell makes it more vulnerable to cracks and damage
The Wen 56200i 2000W portable inverter generator is perfect for weekend getaways. It's a quiet but powerful generator that will work brilliantly when you need to charge your phone and power small devices when camping.
The lightweight design and plastic construction make it easy to carry and transport by hand. Its Eco-Mode function also decreases the fuel consumption rate, which is especially useful for the unit’s limited fuel storage capacity. All in all, it's certainly one of the better portable generators you can get, although it doesn't provide the same level of performance as the 56380i model.
- Dimensions: 18" x 11" x 18" | Weight: 48 lbs
- Noise Level: 53 dB operation
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts
- Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgates, and power outages
- Produces clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as phones, tablets, televisions, and computers
4. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel 12000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
The Duromax XP12000EH is an absolute beast. This dual-fuel portable generator boasts an enormous amount of power of 12,000 watts. As a result, it is sure to fulfill all of your electrical needs. Not only is it incredibly powerful, but it is also quite flexible due to its' dual-fuel feature. Given the fact that it runs on both gasoline and propane, it is excellent for emergency situations. Consequently, you can save on any additional running costs by using propane instead of just gasoline, as it is more affordable.
Another great advantage of this dual-fuel generator is its sturdy build. It is an excellent addition to any worksite due to its' heavy-duty design and steel frame. In addition, the Duromax XP12000EH portable generator comes with a set of solid fill wheels that are great for any terrain. Just make sure to assemble the wheels as soon as possible, as this piece of machinery is quite heavy at 260lbs, making it tough to carry around manually.
- Like other dual-fuel generators, it can run on both propane and gasoline
- It automatically shuts off with low oil
- It is highly portable, as it comes with a set of wheels and handles
- Includes an electric start feature
- It might be hard to find a service that can fix any issues that might arise.
As far as portable generators go, the Duromax Duromax XP12000EH is an extremely powerful, sturdy, and dependable piece of machinery. It's by far one of the most powerful dual fuel portable generators I've ever used, and it certainly deserves its nickname - 'The Beast.' This generator's heavy-duty design makes it ideal for any construction site. In addition, it can also be used in emergencies and power outages due to its longevity.
Because it comes equipped with durable wheels and handle-bars, it is reasonably easy to move despite its heavy build. An additional aspect of the generator that makes it accessible is the simple to use control panel. In other words, the Duromax XP12000EH is an excellent choice for anyone looking to buy a reliable but powerful portable generator. If you want to use your generator or heavy-duty work, the Duromax XP12000EH is the best generator you can get.
- Powerful DuroMax Engine: the XP12000EH portable generator is powered by a DuroMax, 457cc OHV engine.
- Dual fuel technology: the ability to run on propane or gasoline allows the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice.
- Plenty of power: with 12,000 starting watts and 9, 500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Maximum power: with DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V Simultaneously, or at 120 only.
- Powering everyone anywhere: like all DuroMax generators, the XP12000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
5. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
If you are on the market for a dual-fuel portable generator that will provide you with more flexibility, the Champion 3400 is an ideal pick. One look at this Champion generator is enough to notice that it was designed with pride as it looks solid and reliable. Not only does it look high-quality, but it also provides a top-quality performance.
The Champion 3400 watts dual-fuel generator runs on gas or propane. The 4-stroke air-cooled 192cc engine has a run time of up to 8 HOURS on gasoline and nearly 15 HOURS on propane. I tried both options and have to admit that these numbers don't lie. The Champion 3400 is indeed a monster when it comes to endurance.
As for the power output, this Champion dual fuel generator works great when powering smaller house appliances, but it's also safe enough to use with sensitive electronic devices, such as your smartphone or laptop. Worth mentioning is that the 3400 model has an average operating noise of merely 56 decibels, which is slightly higher than the level of normal conversation. The unit is also fitted with an electric start button and can be connected to another Champion inverter generator for additional power.
- Dual-fuel support allows either gas or propane
- Lightweight, portable design makes it easy to transport
- Clean power that’s safe to use with mobile phones and other sensitive electronic devices
- Plastic parts are fragile, and gas smells leak while running
- Low power output makes it unsuitable for use on large devices
What I like about the Champion 3400 is that when other compact inverter generators are geared towards power and durability, this generator is focused on adaptability. Its ability to use both fuel types - gas and propane - gives it an advantage during emergencies where refueling may prove to be difficult.
On top of that, the lightweight design, low operating noise, and sleek profile also make it suitable for use in campgrounds and tailgating. Despite its portability, though, it is durable enough to take a beating thanks to its heavy-duty metal sleeve. The only major drawback is its power output, which is comparatively low compared to other portable generators of its class. Still, it's a great purchase, especially considering its relatively low price.
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, in addition, the generator holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot. Noise Level: 59 dBA at 23 feet. Frequency 60.
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project, or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours of runtime.
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and a 12V DC outlet with a dual USB adapter.
- Champion Support – Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts.
6. Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start - CARB Compliant
The Westinghouse WGen 7500 looks like a powerful and sophisticated generator. And it is. But don't let its design fool you, as it fooled me when I first saw it. Despite being one of the most potent house generators on this list, the WGen 7500 model is incredibly straightforward to use thanks to its intuitive control panel. Most importantly, however, it will provide you with a reliable and durable service.
To ensure it will meet all your power requirements, the WGen 7500 uses a 420 cc 4-Stroke OHV engine that can generate up to 9,500 watts with a 16 hour run time, thanks to the high-capacity 6.6-gallon fuel tank capacity. The engine’s patented overhead valve design also enables it to run at lower temperatures, burning less fuel than other generators in its class.
Another great feature is the one-touch electric start that allows you to turn on the generator with a push of a button or via a remote key fob. It is also transfer-switch ready with water- and dust-resistant GFCI household outlets and a 12-volt battery charger.
- High power output is suitable for applications with varying power demands
- Rugged steel frame and never-flat wheels for heavy-duty use
- The large gas fuel tank allows for a longer operating time
- Remote electric start included
- Its weight makes it difficult to transport
- Alternator cover dents easily
The rugged design and high power output make the Westinghouse WGen 7500 watts an excellent choice for situations that require a steady power source in tough conditions. The engine can run reliably in severe weather conditions, while its transfer-switch-ready configuration makes it easier to power up appliances and equipment without the need for extension cords.
The heavy-duty metal frame also provides extra protection, particularly in construction sites or outdoor environments. Some metal parts are dented easily, though. In general, if you want a more potent generator, this Westinghouse should be your number one choice. On the other hand, if you want a portable generator for your camping getaway, I'd opt for smaller and less sophisticated equipment.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter. Noise Level-72 dBA
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are functionally tested in the factory and may contain minimum residual oil and/or fuel odor; EPA- and CARB-compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service
7. Honda Eu7000is Inverter Generator with Electronic Fuel Injection
Honda is known for producing some of the best generators in the industry. The Honda Eu7000is portable inverter generator is another addition to their amazing portfolio. It's one of the most versatile portable generators I've tested, serving well both as a backup supply for home and a portable power source for outdoor power equipment.
Its 389cc GX390 engine produces up to 7000 watts of power and a run time of up to 18 hours, thanks to a high fuel tank capacity. And if for any reason that's not enough power for you, the generator can be connected to an additional EU7000iS unit for a WHOPPING 14,000 watts of combined power.
A further key feature of the Honda Eu7000is is its Electric Fuel Injection system. Unlike other carburetted portable generators, the fuel injectors make the fuel burn more efficiently, resulting in better fuel mileage, zero engine choke, and reduced wear on the engine. Additionally, each Eu7000is inverter generator comes with the Eco-Throttle system, which adjusts the fuel consumption based on the load.
The Honda eu7000is portable generator is also covered by a 3-year warranty.
- The impressive pure sine wave power output that can support a variety of electronic devices, power tools, and machinery
- Great fuel mileage, thanks to its fuel injection system
- All-metal construction for increased durability
- Heavy and may prove to be difficult to transport
- High price tag and heats up easily in desert environments
The Honda eu7000is portable inverter generator is a red behemoth compared to other products in Honda’s line of portable generators. The maximum rating of 7,000 running wattage can support power-hungry devices with ease, like large appliances and power tools. Surprisingly, despite its high power output, the eu7000is is incredibly fuel-efficient, thanks to the fuel injectors and Eco-Throttle system.
However, the hefty outlook also comes at a cost. The Honda eu7000is is one of the more expensive options available. The price, coupled with its size and weight, makes it unsuitable for applications where high power out is not a priority. If high power is what you seek, though, then this Honda generator is definitely worth every penny.
- 7,000-watt generator can power countless devices and appliances
- Use at home, in RVs, at outdoor events, or while camping
- Electronic Fuel Injection technology makes the generator run for longer and function smoothly
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Fuel-efficient: a full tank lasts up to 18 hours
8. Honda EU3000iS 3000Watt Portable Generator
Another Honda generator that lands on my list is the EU3000iS model. And while you might be wondering what's so special about Honda generators that I've decided to include not one but three of those in this list, there are numerous reasons for that. But let's focus on the Honda3000iS portable generator.
Starting off with the technical features of this generator, it's fair to say that the Japanese manufacturer has outdone itself again. The 4-stroke Honda engine can deliver up to 3000 watts of power, providing enough output to power standard home appliances, as well as smaller and more sensitive devices. What's more, despite a relatively potent engine, this portable generator is surprisingly quiet, operating at around 50dV on average.
Another advantage of the EU3000iS model is its sturdy design. Thanks to its steel frame, this generator is exceptionally durable. The frame also acts as a protection from damaging external conditions, making Honda EU3000iS an ideal portable generator for the outdoors. Additionally, like other Honda portable generators, the EU3000iS utilizes the Eco-Throttle system, which manages fuel consumption, improving its efficiency.
- It’s very quiet, especially when used at a low capacity.
- It’s highly efficient. Due to its’ use of the eco-throttle, the Eu3000iS is one of the most fuel-efficient generators on the market.
- It’s highly reliable. By using inverter technology, this portable generator guarantees clean, stable power.
- Provides pure sine wave power
- The Honda Eu3000is portable generator high price might deter some customers
In conclusion, the Honda Eu3000iS inverter generator is extremely powerful, very well built, and highly efficient. It is portable, making it ideal for your next camping trip. Honda uses a patented Eco-Throttle technology, ensuring the generator's engine doesn't waste a single watt of power. As a result, it will last longer than many other engines.
Not only does the Eco-Throttle system reduce fuel consumption, but it also reduces the noise level of the engine. Consequently, the Eu3000iS is very quiet despite its power output. All of these things combined make a reliable, sturdy, and powerful generator that is sure to last you a long time.
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, including a furnace, fridge, microwave, TV, blenders, most 13,500 BTU RV AC units, and much more.
- Super quiet: So quiet, your neighbors will thank you; the EU3000is operates at 49 to 58 dB (A), which is less noise than a normal conversation; this makes it ideal for camping, RV power, and any other.
- Fuel efficient runs up to 20 hours on 3.4 Gal. of fuel: thanks to our exclusive eco-throttle, the EU3000 offers great fuel efficiency, it runs 7.2 to 20 hours on a single tank, depending on the...
- Advanced inverter technology - reliable power for computers and other sensitive equipment: Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package; the precision of Honda's.
- Protected by oil alert: this protects the generator by shutting the engine off when low oil is detected
9. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (EPA)
I've tested many portable generators in my professional career, but I have to admit that the Champion 3500 is definitely one of the most versatile generators on the market. It works brilliantly as an RV generator, which is its primary purpose, but you can also use it in your household in case of a power outage.
Champion Power Equipment has been around for a long time and, as a result, knows its customers well. Long story short, the Champion 3500 Watt portable generator lives up to expectations. By using a 4-stroke single-cylinder overhead valve engine, the generator produces an enormous amount of power to power RV and household appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners.
One great thing about the Champion 3500 Watt generator's engine that impresses me the most is its reliability. For instance, in freezing conditions, engine oil becomes thicker, making it harder for the engine to work correctly. While this is an issue for other generators, the Champion 3500 Watt features a cold start technology. As a result, the generator works even in extreme weather.
- It can be used remotely. This Champion generator does not require any manual input.
- It comes with free lifetime technical support. Dedicated experts will make sure that your generator lasts a long time.
- It is cheap compared to other inverter generators on the market.
- Due to the lack of wheels, it is not easily portable.
The Champion 3500 Watt is terrific for the outdoors. It was built with the needs of RV users in mind, utilizing numerous useful features such as an electric remote control or unique cold start technology. These two features provide convenience many other generators can't match, allowing you to control your generator without leaving the comfort of your RV, no matter the weather.
As for the price is relatively cheap compared to other similar generators. Don't let the price fool you, though. The Champion 3500 is a top-quality piece of equipment. If I were to describe this generator in a few words, I'd say it's highly versatile, optimized, and will fulfill all of your power needs.
- Your purchase includes One Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator, 46596 model (EPA Compliant)
- Portable Generator dimensions: 23.2” L x 17.5" W x 19.6" H. Product weight: 99.2 lbs
- Specifications: Noise level – 68 dBA from 23 ft. | Volts – 120V | Gasoline Running Amps – 29.2 | Frequency – 60Hz | Gasoline Run time at ½ load – 12.0 h | No Parallel Capability | Voltmeter...
- Outlets – A 120V 30A locking | 120V 30A RV |120V 20A household. Includes a low-oil shut-off sensor and has a 0.6-quart oil capacity (recommended 10W-30)
- This generator includes an internal AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator), as well as a backup Voltguard to prevent overloads and keep your valuable equipment safe from voltage spikes
10. Duromax XP4850EH Dual Fuel 4850 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
I have to admit that the Duromax XP4850EH didn't impress me the most when I first saw it. However, after the first usage, I had to completely change my view on this generator. It might be small in size, but the amount of power it generates is jaw-dropping. This generator runs on an astounding 3850 watts, while its maximum reaches a whopping 4850 surge watts. As a result, the amount of power it provides is an excellent fit for blackouts and emergencies.
Duromax XP4850EH portable generator comes with a mighty four-stroke engine that is capable of running every appliance in your home. Additionally, the engine can use both gasoline and propane. While it primarily depends on propane, utilizing dual fuel adaptability makes this generator highly convenient. Finally, the engine is air-cooled for improved aeration, which is the feature I really like in portable generators.
- It comes with its’ own set of wheels, making it very portable.
- Even though it is powerful, the generator is relatively compact and easy to carry.
- It runs on both propane and gasoline, which is quite convenient.
- Electric start included.
- It can get quite noisy, primarily when used at full capacity.
The Duromax XP4850EH might not look overly impressive due to its relatively small size, but the power it can provide is enough to serve you well during an outage. On top of that, since it can run either on gas or propane, it's excellent for emergency situations. Another reason why it is useful in emergencies is its portability. Not only does it come with a set of wheels, but it is also relatively small, making it easy to carry from one place to another.
In summary, this generator is robust, reliable, and efficient. Therefore it is guaranteed to be a safe purchase for any potential customer, and it's one of the best portable generators available in the market. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can get noisy when used at full capacity. With this in mind, I wouldn't recommend buying it for camping purposes.
- Plenty of Power – With 4,850 starting watts and 3,850 running watts, this portable generator can handle heavy loads and household appliances, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Dual Fuel Technology – This portable generator can run on either gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility to choose the fuel that works best for you.
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 210cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy-duty power tools.
- MX2 Technology - Get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power. Ideal for home use.
- Fully Featured Power Panel – The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications.
11. Champion 3100 Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
The eye-catching Champion 3100 Watt portable generator is designed for camping. As a result, it provides a steady power source for long periods of time. Equipped with a 171cc single-cylinder engine, it runs on 2800 watts. Additionally, the generator uses Champion’s Inverter Technology. This technology ensures better fuel economy and prolonged engine life. In addition, the Champion 3100 Watt has a low oil shut-off sensor, designed for safety.
The Champion 3100 Watt portable inverter generator arrives fully assembled, with built-in handles and a wheel kit. Therefore, it is practically made to be carried around. Not to mention its’ weight of just 83lbs, which is quite low for a portable generator. Because of these characteristics, the Champion Generator is one of the most convenient generators on the market.
Even though this inverter generator is highly reliable, it's not foolproof. However, you need not worry as it comes with free lifetime technical support. Experts from Champion Power Equipment are readily available to provide any assistance you may need. Champion Support also includes a 3-year warranty.
- It has a quick touch panel – making it very easy to control.
- It comes with built-in wheels and two handles for improved portability.
- It is very compact, lightweight, and easy to handle.
- Some reviewers mention that the generator produces a higher volume in dB than advertised.
In summary, the Champion 3100 Watt is a great inverter generator. Due to its small size and relatively small weight, it is excellent for traveling or camping. Besides, this portable generator is equipped with a set of wheels and handles for even more convenience. Not only is it easy to carry, but it is also simple to use because of its Quick Touch Panel.
Champion Power Equipment does not disappoint when it comes to generators, and the Champion 3100 Watt is no exception. It is highly reliable, portable, and fuel-efficient. This generator's quality definitely justifies its' price point. It is exceptionally well built, highly functional, and worth every penny.
- Quick Touch Panel – Access all your controls in one spot, plus Champion’s safe design includes a low oil shut-off sensor and holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30)
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 58 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project, or backup power for your home, featuring 3100 starting watts and 2800 running watts with up to 8 hours of runtime
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and a 12V DC outlet
- Smart Economy Mode – Can reduce the electrical load, providing quieter operation, extended engine life, and better fuel economy
- Champion Support – includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
12. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator
Champion Power Equipment still doesn't disappoint with its range of portable generators, and the Champion 3800 Watt is no exception. This reliable generator is powered by a 224cc hybrid engine. As a result, it can reach up to 4800 watts of starting power. While its continuous power is slightly less at 3800 watts, it is still a force to be reckoned with. However, keep in mind that using propane will lower the amount of continuous power to around 3400 watts. Do not be discouraged, as this is more than enough to fuel any RV and household electronics such as an LCD TV.
You will also be delighted to hear that the Champion 3800 Watt portable generator comes with an electric starter. As a result, starting it in cold weather is not a problem. Additionally, it has a run time of up to 9-10 hours of continuous work, depending on the fuel type you are using. In other words, this portable generator is highly reliable. As a result, it is excellent for prolonged usage in potential emergency situations.
- It has a dual-fuel engine, which means it runs on both gasoline and propane, so it is highly flexible.
- It comes with excellent technical support that lasts a lifetime.
- It is highly reliable due to its’ 224cc Champion engine.
- Some users might be deterred by its’ relatively high level of noise
To sum up, the Champion 3800 Watt portable generator is sturdy and highly dependable. With Champion Power Equipment's lifetime technical support, you can rest assured that the generator will last you a very long time. No matter if you are using it to power an RV for your next camping trip or you need a reliable generator for blackouts, this generator can do it all.
Another great feature of this generator is its robust build. Due to its steel frame, it is durable and somewhat heavy. Luckily, it has wheels that make it highly portable despite its weight of 122 lbs. The Champion 3800 Watt portable generator delivers terrific quality for its price.
- Dual Fuel: Operate your 3800-watt portable generator with gasoline or propane, plus the generator holds 0.6-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric Start: Power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, with its included battery
- Intelligauge: Keep track of voltage, hertz, and runtime hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals. Dimensions-26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches
- Outlets: One 120V 30A RV outlet (TT-30R), one 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R), and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R) - trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- Champion Support: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated specialists
13. Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator - CARB Compliant
The Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable gas generator is a powerhouse for its compact package.
It weighs in at 170 lbs., with this impressive little generator rated at 5500 watts and 6850 peak watts, thanks to a 420cc 4-stroke OHV Westinghouse engine.
It is well-designed for use as a portable emergency power supply. The WGen 5500 has a runtime of 20 hours nonstop on its 6.6-gallon gas fuel tank. It is also equipped with a Transfer Switch outlet that connects straight to standard home outlets, allowing you to power your entire house.
The user-friendly control panel includes the VFT Data Center program, which sends real-time updates on its current operating status for easy maintenance and long service life.
Some attractive additional features of the WGen 5500 portable generator include:
- a hardened tubular steel frame,
- remote start function,
- heavy-duty roll bars,
- ergonomic foam handles for extra comfort and mobility,
- puncture-proof wheels, and
- rubber outlet covers for added protection against the elements.
It is also backed by a 3-year warranty for dedicated, lifetime technical support.
- High power output with minimal risk of high-risk overloads
- Up to 40 percent more efficient than other generators in its class
- High-capacity tank for extended operation
- Heavy—requires considerably more effort to move than expected (even with the wheels)
- No grounding rod connection to protect against electric shock
- Relatively high noise level
The Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator packs a loud and powerful punch, despite its small size. It can easily power most household appliances for prolonged periods, making it an excellent backup power supply during emergencies.
The Transfer Switch Ready outlets also make it easy to connect with electronic devices (without the need for additional power cords or nearby power outlets). Its size and loud operational noise require that it be stored at an ample distance from the house or camp while it is running, though. Thanks to its remote start system, this snag doesn’t pose much of a problem.
- 6000 Running Watts and 7500 Peak Watts; Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 13 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5–20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Outlet; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers
- Plug-and-Play. Comes With Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service.
How to Choose the Perfect Portable Generator?
The list you see above is purely subjective and is a result of me testing each generator for specific factors that I believe are the most important when it comes to portable generators. In general, I take into consideration such factors as power, fuel efficiency, running time, portability, type of generator (conventional or inverter), safety, and ease of control. And these are the exact rules I'd like you to apply when searching for your ideal generator, be it a portable or standby generator:
How Much Power Do I Need?
A good portable generator should be able to comfortably run essential household appliances. The output power of portable generators is rated by startup watts (or peak power) – the momentary power boost required to start an appliances’ motor and running wattage. With this in mind, before you purchase a portable generator, ensure that it produces enough juice to handle the startup wattage as indicated for each appliance. If you want to know how big of a generator do you need, I have written this guide.
It might be impossible to get fuel during a natural disaster. Hence, the best portable generator that can give you the best runtime on a full tank of gas is most desirable. You can also opt for one of the dual-fuel generators, which will provide you with more flexibility when it comes to powering your appliances.
Closely related to fuel efficiency, runtime is the number of hours a single full tank can last. It has to do with the tank capacity and the size of the generator. There are powerful portable generators that can run for up to 11 hours nonstop. This is quite important if you need backup power in your home all through the night.
Portable generators are designed to be moved around. But they are not all equal in this regard. Usually, the higher the output, the heavier the unit becomes. So if the intended usage for your unit requires constant movement, you should consider the weight and other features like handles and wheels that enhance maneuverability.
Conventional or Inverter Generator?
Conventional generators run at full, constant speed and can produce lots of power. But your sensitive home devices are better off powered by an inverter generator because of the clean power output they generate. Also, inverter generators can adjust engine speed according to load and are therefore more fuel-efficient and run quieter – these properties make them better suited for recreational pursuits. I've covered more about traditional vs. inverter generators here.
Safety features are a must for portable generators. When choosing a portable generator, Insist on a unit with:
- Inbuilt surge protectors - this safety feature protects your appliances from voltage spikes.
- Low oil shutdown – a feature that shuts down the engine automatically when the oil is low to prevent permanent.
- Spark arrestors – which stop the generator from emitting flammable particles that can cause fire incidences.
- Built-in circuit protection sensor - to protect you from electrocution.
Control Panel Features
Premium portable generators can be started with a push of a button. Other useful control panel features are multiple household plugs, transfer switch ready, voltage selector switch, and an odometer which shows in hours how long the generator has run. A clearly visible fuel gauge is also a plus.
And there you have it, my top ten portable generators currently available on the market. However, keep in mind that this list is a hundred percent subjective and is a result of multiple tests I've run. Long story short, I can only highly recommend you get one of the pieces of machinery I've described above. If you want to conduct your own research, though, feel free to do so. In this case, however, remember to ask yourself a few questions regarding what you seek from your ideal generator and how much you intend to spend on it.
And if you have any further questions regarding all types of generators, feel free to contact me via the onsite form. I'll be more than happy to help you with any problem you might have.