As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you've ever been without power you'll appreciate having the best portable generator on hand to get the lights back on, the fridge working and the heating or cooling running! Not to mention keeping the power up to your electronic devices.
If you're looking for the best portable generators, we have you covered. We've reviewed a wide range of generators in lots of different categories. Look for what you need in the table below and click the relevant link to see our reviews.
- The Best Portable Generators Available: Choose Your Category Below
- Best Portable Generator: Our Top Picks:
- 1.WEN 56380i: Super Quiet 3800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- 2. Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt Companion Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
- 3. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant
- 4. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel 12000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
- 5. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
- 6. Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start - CARB Compliant
- 7. Honda Eu7000is Inverter Generator with Electronic Fuel Injection
- 8. Honda EU3000iS 3000Watt Portable Generator
- 9. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (EPA)
- 10. Duromax XP4850EH Dual Fuel 4850 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
- 11. Champion 3100 Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- 12. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator
- 13. Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator - CARB Compliant
- How Do Portable Generators Work?
- How Do I Choose The Best Portable Generator?
- What Is The Best Portable Generator Brand?
The Best Portable Generators Available: Choose Your Category Below
Best Portable Generator: Our Top Picks:
1.WEN 56380i: Super Quiet 3800 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
There’s a whole lot to like about the WEN 56380i and that’s why we have made it our #1 all-around model.
For a start, its sleek, modern design looks great and it’s real sturdy and more importantly, it’s EPA III and CARB compliant and can be used in any state.
It’s a little heavier than the 200-watt model but it packs a real punch and runs quietly enough not to upset any neighbors who might be living close by.
The WEN 3800 Watt Inverter Generator is easy to start and easy to use and maintain.
Some other attractive features of the WEN 56380i portable generator include:
- Half load run time of up to 8.5 hours
- Clean power for your sensitive electronics
- Wheels and handle make it easy to move
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan
The WEN 56380i inverter generator comes backed by a 2-year warranty, a nationwide network of skilled service technicians, and a friendly customer helpline
- Super Quiet
- CARB Compliant
- Can be run in parallel for even more power
- Low oil and low fuel automatic shutdown
- Fully RV ready
- A little heavy
The WEN 56380i 3000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator is a powerful compact model but runs super quietly so you can use it for home backup power and because it is fully RV ready it can be used for camping and RVs.
The WEN portable generator is also significantly cheaper than comparable Honda generators and that’s a real reason to love this unit!
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
2. Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt Companion Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
Designed to replace its predecessor, the Honda EU2200i portable generator provides a reliable backup power supply in a compact, lightweight package.
The 120cc GXR engine has a maximum output of 2200 watts, which is enough to power large appliances and construction equipment. It also has a built-in inverter so that it can safely charge mobile phones and other sensitive electronics like your LCD TV.
The operating noise of just 57 decibels has it far quieter than most of the competition.
The key feature of the Honda EU2200i is its patented fuel injection system. Unlike other generators with carbureted engines, the EU2200i’s engine blends fuel and air more efficiently. It results in a cleaner burn with less waste.
There is also an automatic decompressor system that makes startups easier and more reliable.
For power saving, the Honda EU2200i has a built-in EcoThrottle system. The technology allows the generator to adjust its fuel consumption to the current load, allowing a run time of up to EIGHT HOURS without refueling.
- Fuel injection technology for better fuel efficiency and cleaner emissions
- Low operating noise for comfort and convenience
- Lightweight design with ergonomic carrying handles makes it easily portable
- Produces true sine wave power for your electronic devices
- Does not come with an automatic starter and emits a strong gas smell while running
- Limited fuel tank capacity
The Honda EU2200i is designed as an improvement to its predecessor, the EU2000i—and it delivers.
It has a 10 percent higher power output and is more fuel-efficient, thanks to its fuel injection and patented EcoThrottle system.
Despite its improved fuel efficiency, the 1-gallon tank can quickly dry up, especially when the generator is used at full capacity. It also has no electric start system, which is now a standard in portable generators of its class.
- Built-in 30 Amp outlet - the EU2200i companion offers one 30 Amp receptacle for RV applications (requires optional adapter) and one 20 Amp receptacle, the 30 Amp receptacle allows 2 EU2200i models to...
- Lightweight and compact - weighing less than 47 lbs., the EU2200i Companion generator is incredibly lightweight and portable, thanks to Honda's inverter technology, it's easy to get it to where power is needed
- A fuel shutoff valve ("Fuel Off" position) allows the engine to continue to run until the majority of the fuel in the carburetor is consumed and the engine shuts off, which helps prevent stale fuel
- An increase in the ventilation area of 2.31 square inches compared with the outgoing model reduces cabinet air intake resistance, resulting in improved inverter cooling
- A bigger oil filler opening, a longer spout, and larger oil drain gutter make for easier and cleaner oil changes
3. WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant
Do you need a portable inverter generator that’s big on power but not on noise?
The Wen 562001 2000W is ideal.
It’s EPA- and CARB- compliant, with a 79cc 4-stroke OHC engine free of voltage spikes and drops. The unit cranks out a maximum of 2,000 watts and 1,600 rated watts. It can also be connected to FIVE devices simultaneously - surely, it's one of the best portable generators in the market!
Despite the potent power output, the 562001 has an average operating noise of only 51 decibels. It’s no louder than an air conditioner or a normal conversation.
It also generates a harmonic distortion of 1.2 percent on full, making it safe enough to recharge sensitive electronic devices, such as laptops and smartphones.
The Wen Eco-Mode is one more key feature of 562001 generators—allowing the generator motor to instantly adjust its fuel consumption based on the number of appliances and devices that are plugged in. It cuts down fuel wastage significantly and saves you money in the process.
Other great features include:
- parallel connection support,
- overload protection, and
- an ergonomic carrying handle.
- Extremely quiet operation
- Lightweight design at only 48 pounds for easy transport
- Minimal harmonic distortion making it safe to use with sensitive electronics
- Low fuel tank capacity
- Overloads when connected to large equipment or high-drainage electronic devices
- The plastic shell makes it more vulnerable to cracks and damage
The Wen 562001 2000W portable inverter generator is primarily designed with weekend getaways in mind, complemented by its quiet operation.
A maximum 2,000-watt output means this generator cannot reliably serve as a backup power supply for your home but is perfect for campsites and tailgates where you only need to charge your phone and power small devices.
The lightweight design and plastic construction also make it easy to carry and transport by hand. Its Eco-Mode function also decreases the fuel consumption rate, which is especially useful for the unit’s limited fuel storage capacity.
- Dimensions: 18" x 11" x 18" | Weight: 48 lbs
- Noise Level: 53 dB operation
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts
- Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgates, and power outages
- Produces clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as phones, tablets, televisions, and computers
4. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel 12000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
The Duromax XP12000EH is an absolute beast. This portable generator boasts an enormous amount of power, 12,000 watts, to be specific. As a result, it is sure to fulfill all of your electrical needs. Not only is it incredibly powerful, but it is also quite flexible due to its' dual-fuel feature. Given the fact that it runs on both gasoline and propane, it is excellent for emergency situations. Consequently, you can save on any additional running costs by using propane instead of just gasoline, as it is more affordable.
Another great advantage of this dual-fuel generator is its' sturdy build. It is an excellent addition to any worksite due to its' heavy-duty design and steel frame. In addition, the Duromax XP12000EH portable generator comes with a set of solid fill wheels that are great for any terrain. Just make sure to assemble the wheels as soon as possible, as this piece of machinery is quite heavy at 260lbs. As a result, it can be tough to carry around manually.
- It is a dual-fuel generator, meaning it can run on both propane and gasoline.
- It automatically shuts off with low oil.
- It is highly portable, as it comes with a set of wheels and handles.
- Includes an electric start feature.
- It might be hard to find a service that can fix any issues that might arise.
The Duromax XP12000EH is an extremely powerful, sturdy, and dependable piece of machinery, and it's one of the best portable generators in the market. Regarding its colossal power output, it surely justifies its nickname 'The Beast.' This generator's heavy-duty design makes it ideal for any construction site. In addition, it can also be used in emergencies and power outages due to its longevity.
Because it comes equipped with durable wheels and handle-bars, it is reasonably easy to move despite its heavy build. An additional aspect of the generator that makes it accessible is the simple to use control panel. In other words, the Duromax XP12000EH is an excellent choice for anyone looking to buy a reliable but powerful portable generator.
- Powerful DuroMax Engine: the XP12000EH portable generator is powered by a DuroMax, 457cc OHV engine.
- Dual fuel technology: the ability to run on propane or gasoline allows the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice.
- Plenty of power: with 12,000 starting watts and 9, 500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Maximum power: with DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V Simultaneously, or at 120 only.
- Powering everyone anywhere: like all DuroMax generators, the XP12000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
5. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
Are you looking for a portable generator that offers more flexibility?
The Champion 3400W is just the solution.
The Champion 3400 watts Dual-Fuel Generator runs on gas or propane. There’s no need for any additives or complicated procedures: just fill up the generator with gas or propane, and it will run instantly.
The 4-stroke air-cooled 192cc engine has a run time of up to 8 HOURS on gasoline and nearly 15 HOURS on propane. It generates clean energy that’s safe enough to use with sensitive electronic devices, like laptops and mobile phones.
The Champion 3400 W portable inverter generator is also designed for quiet operation. It has an average operating noise of just 56 decibels, which is slightly higher than the level of normal conversation.
The unit is also fitted with an electric start button and can be connected to another Champion inverter generator for additional power.
Other features include:
- a cast-iron sleeve,
- low oil shut-off protection, and
- a Quick Touch panel for easy access over the controls.
- Dual-fuel support allows either gas or propane
- Lightweight, portable design makes it easy to transport
- Clean power that’s safe to use with mobile phones and other sensitive electronic devices
- Plastic parts are fragile, and gas smells leak while running
- Low power output makes it unsuitable for use on large devices
Other compact inverter generators are geared towards power and durability, but the Champion 3400W is focused on adaptability.
Its ability to use both fuel types, gas, and propane, gives it an advantage during emergencies where refueling may prove to be difficult.
The lightweight design, low operating noise, and sleek profile also make it suitable for use in campgrounds and tailgating. Despite its portability, though, it is durable enough to take a beating thanks to its heavy-duty metal sleeve.
The only major drawback is its power output, which is comparatively low compared to other portable generators of its class.
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, in addition, the generator holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot. Noise Level: 59 dBA at 23 feet. Frequency 60.
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project, or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours of runtime.
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and a 12V DC outlet with a dual USB adapter.
- Champion Support – Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts.
6. Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator with Remote Electric Start - CARB Compliant
The Westinghouse WGen 7500 is a powerful, easy-to-use generator. It is designed to provide reliable power during emergencies as a portable power source.
The 420 cc 4-Stroke OHV engine can generate up to 9,500 watts with a 16 hour run time, thanks to the high-capacity 6.6-gallon fuel tank capacity. The engine’s patented overhead valve design also enables it to run at lower temperatures, burning less fuel than other generators in its class.
In addition to power, the WGen 7500 portable generator is designed for ease and reliability.
The one-touch electric start allows you to turn on the generator with a push of a button or via a remote key fob. It is also transfer-switch ready with water- and dust-resistant GFCI household outlets, and a 12-volt battery charger.
The generator is fitted with a heavy-duty cast iron sleeve, roll bars, and puncture-proof wheels to ensure a long operating life. Each WGen 7500 also comes with VFT Data Center Support for real-time maintenance updates.
It comes with a 3-year warranty and an Excellent Nationwide Customer Service and Support Network.
Other features include:
- a digital hour meter,
- foam handles, and
- an intuitive control panel.
- High power output is suitable for applications with varying power demands
- Rugged steel frame and never-flat wheels for heavy-duty use
- The large gas fuel tank allows for a longer operating time
- Remote electric start included
- Its weight makes it difficult to transport
- Alternator cover dents easily
The rugged design and high power output make the Westinghouse WGen 7500 watts an excellent choice for situations that require a steady power source in tough conditions.
The engine can run reliably in severe weather conditions, while its transfer-switch-ready configuration makes it easier to power up appliances and equipment without the need for extension cords.
The heavy-duty metal frame also provides extra protection, particularly in construction sites or outdoor environments. Some metal parts are dented easily, though. The weight and price tag may mean it is not the best option for camping or tailgating use.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter. Noise Level-72 dBA
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are functionally tested in the factory and may contain minimum residual oil and/or fuel odor; EPA- and CARB-compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service
7. Honda Eu7000is Inverter Generator with Electronic Fuel Injection
The Honda Eu7000is portable inverter generator is a versatile device capable of serving as an emergency backup supply for your home and a portable power source for outdoor use.
Its 389cc GX390 engine produces up to 7000 watts of power and a run time of up to 18 hours, thanks to a high fuel tank capacity. If that’s not enough gusto, the generator can be connected to an additional EU7000iS unit for a WHOPPING 14,000 watts of combined power.
A further key feature of the Honda Eu7000is is its Electric Fuel Injection system. Unlike other carburetted portable generators, the fuel injectors make the fuel burn more efficiently, resulting in better fuel mileage, zero engine choke, and reduced wear on the engine.
Each Eu7000is inverter generator comes with the Eco-Throttle system, which adjusts the fuel consumption based on the load.
Other features of the Honda Eu7000is generator include:
- an i-Monitor control panel,
- GFCI and duplex outlets,
- built-in circuit breakers, and
- folding handles.
The Honda eu7000is portable generator is also covered by a 3-year warranty.
- The impressive pure sine wave power output that can support a variety of electronic devices, power tools, and machinery
- Great fuel mileage, thanks to its fuel injection system
- All-metal construction for increased durability
- Heavy and may prove to be difficult to transport
- High price tag and heats up easily in desert environments
The Honda eu7000is portable inverter generator is a red behemoth compared to other products in Honda’s line of portable generators. The maximum rating of 7,000 running wattage can support power-hungry devices with ease, like large appliances and power tools.
Despite its high power output, the eu7000is is incredibly fuel-efficient, thanks to the fuel injectors and Eco-Throttle system.
The hefty outlook also comes with a cost. The Honda eu7000is is one of the expensive options in the market, but it's also one of the best inverter generators available. The price, coupled with its size and weight, makes it unsuitable for applications where high power out is not a priority.
- 7,000-watt generator can power countless devices and appliances
- Use at home, in RVs, at outdoor events, or while camping
- Electronic Fuel Injection technology makes the generator run for longer and function smoothly
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Fuel-efficient: a full tank lasts up to 18 hours
8. Honda EU3000iS 3000Watt Portable Generator
If you are looking for a portable generator, look no further than the Honda Eu3000iS! Following the success of the customer’s favorite Honda Eu2000iS, the Japanese company released another exceedingly well-built generator.
Much like its' predecessor, the Eu3000iS boasts an extremely sturdy build. Due to its' steel frame, the durability of this powerful generator leaves little to be desired. Besides, the frame itself acts as protection from damaging external conditions, such as bad weather. As a result, the Honda Eu3000is portable generator is ideal for the outdoors.
There is no question that Honda has built a reputation for itself, and this generator lives up to that standard. The 4-stroke Honda engine can deliver up to 3000 watts of power. Even though the Honda Eu3000iS has a potent engine, you don't need to worry about the noise it produces. This portable generator operates at around 50dB. For reference, a normal conversation is about 60dB.
one great perk of this mighty generator is its’ fuel efficiency, due to Honda’s Eco-Throttle system. The system manages fuel consumption. As a result, you can rest assured that you aren’t hemorrhaging money while using the Honda Eu3000is portable generator.
- It’s very quiet, especially when used at a low capacity.
- It’s highly efficient. Due to its’ use of the eco-throttle, the Eu3000iS is one of the most fuel-efficient generators on the market.
- It’s highly reliable. By using inverter technology, this portable generator guarantees clean, stable power.
- Provides pure sine wave power
- It's expensive. The Honda Eu3000is portable generator's high price might deter some customers.
In conclusion, the Honda Eu3000iS inverter generator is extremely powerful, very well built, and highly efficient. It is portable, making it ideal for your next camping trip. Honda uses a patented Eco-Throttle technology ensuring the generator's engine doesn't waste a single watt of power. As a result, it will last longer than many other engines.
Not only does the Eco-Throttle reduce fuel consumption, but it also reduces the noise level of the engine. Consequently, the Eu3000iS is very quiet despite its power output. All of these things combined make a reliable, sturdy, and powerful generator that is sure to last you a long time.
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, including a furnace, fridge, microwave, TV, blenders, most 13,500 BTU RV AC units, and much more.
- Super quiet: So quiet, your neighbors will thank you; the EU3000is operates at 49 to 58 dB (A), which is less noise than a normal conversation; this makes it ideal for camping, RV power, and any other.
- Fuel efficient runs up to 20 hours on 3.4 Gal. of fuel: thanks to our exclusive eco-throttle, the EU3000 offers great fuel efficiency, it runs 7.2 to 20 hours on a single tank, depending on the...
- Advanced inverter technology - reliable power for computers and other sensitive equipment: Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package; the precision of Honda's.
- Protected by oil alert: this protects the generator by shutting the engine off when low oil is detected
9. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (EPA)
The Champion 3500 Watt portable unit is one of the most versatile inverter generators on the market. While it is generally marketed for camping and RV use, you can also find an excellent use for it in your household. Even if you have an emergency, the Champion 3500 Watt portable generator will have you covered.
Champion Power Equipment has been around for a long time and, as a result, knows its’ customers well. With this in mind, the Champion 3500 Watt portable generator lives up to expectations. By using a 4-stroke single-cylinder overhead valve engine, the generator produces an enormous amount of power. As a result, it can run nearly all household and RV appliances, including refrigerators and air conditioners.
One great thing about the Champion 3500 Watt generator's engine is its reliability. In freezing conditions, engine oil becomes thicker – making it harder for the engine to work correctly. While this is an issue for other generators, the Champion 3500 Watt features a cold start technology. As a result, the generator works even in extreme weather.
- It can be used remotely. This Champion generator does not require any manual input.
- It comes with free lifetime technical support. Dedicated experts will make sure that your generator lasts a long time.
- It is cheap compared to other inverter generators on the market.
- Due to the lack of wheels, it is not easily portable.
The Champion 3500 Watt is terrific for the outdoors. It was built with the needs of RV users in mind. As a result, it comes with an electric remote control that enables you to control it without leaving the comfort of your RV. The remote access, paired with unique cold start technology, makes this generator the perfect addition for your next camping adventure.
Even though this generator is relatively cheap, it is very high-quality. The design is very pleasing to the eye, making the generator desirable for any customer. In addition, the Champion 3500 Watt portable generator is quite fuel-efficient, saving you even more money. In conclusion, this generator is highly versatile, optimized, and will fulfill all of your power needs.
- Your purchase includes One Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator, 46596 model (EPA Compliant)
- Portable Generator dimensions: 23.2” L x 17.5" W x 19.6" H. Product weight: 99.2 lbs
- Specifications: Noise level – 68 dBA from 23 ft. | Volts – 120V | Gasoline Running Amps – 29.2 | Frequency – 60Hz | Gasoline Run time at ½ load – 12.0 h | No Parallel Capability | Voltmeter...
- Outlets – A 120V 30A locking | 120V 30A RV |120V 20A household. Includes a low-oil shut-off sensor and has a 0.6-quart oil capacity (recommended 10W-30)
- This generator includes an internal AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator), as well as a backup Voltguard to prevent overloads and keep your valuable equipment safe from voltage spikes
10. Duromax XP4850EH Dual Fuel 4850 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator
The Duromax XP4850EH portable generator might be relatively small, but don't let its size fool you – this bad boy generates impressive amounts of power. This generator runs on an astounding 3850 watts, while its maximum reaches a whopping 4850 surge watts. As a result, the amount of power it provides is an excellent fit for blackouts and emergencies.
Duromax XP4850EH portable generator comes with a mighty four-stroke engine that is capable of running every appliance in your home. Additionally, the engine can use both gasoline and propane. While it primarily depends on propane, utilizing dual fuel adaptability makes this generator highly convenient. Finally, the engine is air-cooled for improved aeration.
Are you worried about assembly? It's not a problem with the Duromax XP4850EH, as it comes fully assembled. This portable generator might seem a bit heavy at 130-lbs, which is a hard task for a single person to carry. Luckily, it comes with its’ own set of wheels, which takes all the weight off your shoulders (figuratively and literally).
- It comes with its’ own set of wheels, making it very portable.
- Even though it is powerful, the generator is relatively compact and easy to carry.
- It runs on both propane and gasoline, which is quite convenient.
- Electric start included.
- It can get quite noisy, primarily when used at full capacity.
To sum up, this generator outputs an enormous amount of power. However, safety is not a concern despite its’ effectiveness, as it comes with a circuit breaker. The Duromax XP4850EH portable generator has two power sources; gas and propane. As a result, it is excellent for emergency situations, especially if one of the fuel types becomes unavailable. Another reason why it is useful in emergencies is its portability. Not only does it come with a set of wheels, but it is also relatively small, making it easy for carrying it from one place to another.
This generator is robust, reliable, and efficient. Therefore it is guaranteed to be a safe purchase for any potential customer, and it's one of the best portable generators available in the market.
- Plenty of Power – With 4,850 starting watts and 3,850 running watts, this portable generator can handle heavy loads and household appliances, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Dual Fuel Technology – This portable generator can run on either gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility to choose the fuel that works best for you.
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 210cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy-duty power tools.
- MX2 Technology - Get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power. Ideal for home use.
- Fully Featured Power Panel – The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications.
11. Champion 3100 Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
The eye-catching Champion 3100 Watt portable generator is designed for camping. As a result, it provides a steady power source for long periods of time. Equipped with a 171cc single-cylinder engine, it runs on 2800 watts. Additionally, the generator uses Champion’s Inverter Technology. This technology ensures better fuel economy and prolonged engine life. In addition, the Champion 3100 Watt has a low oil shut-off sensor, designed for safety.
The Champion 3100 Watt portable inverter generator arrives fully assembled, with built-in handles and a wheel kit. Therefore, it is practically made to be carried around. Not to mention its’ weight of just 83lbs, which is quite low for a portable generator. Because of these characteristics, the Champion Generator is one of the most convenient generators on the market.
Even though this inverter generator is highly reliable, it's not foolproof. However, you need not worry as it comes with free lifetime technical support. Experts from Champion Power Equipment are readily available to provide any assistance you may need. Champion Support also includes a 3-year warranty.
- It has a quick touch panel – making it very easy to control.
- It comes with built-in wheels and two handles for improved portability.
- It is very compact, lightweight, and easy to handle.
- Some reviewers mention that the generator produces a higher volume in dB than advertised.
In summary, the Champion 3100 Watt is a great inverter generator. Due to its small size and relatively small weight, it is excellent for traveling or camping. Besides, this portable generator is equipped with a set of wheels and handles for even more convenience. Not only is it easy to carry, but it is also simple to use because of its Quick Touch Panel.
Champion Power Equipment does not disappoint when it comes to generators, and the Champion 3100 Watt is no exception. It is highly reliable, portable, and fuel-efficient. This generator's quality definitely justifies its' price point. It is exceptionally well built, highly functional, and worth every penny.
- Quick Touch Panel – Access all your controls in one spot, plus Champion’s safe design includes a low oil shut-off sensor and holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30)
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 58 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project, or backup power for your home, featuring 3100 starting watts and 2800 running watts with up to 8 hours of runtime
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and a 12V DC outlet
- Smart Economy Mode – Can reduce the electrical load, providing quieter operation, extended engine life, and better fuel economy
- Champion Support – includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
12. Champion 3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator
Champion Power Equipment still doesn't disappoint with its range of portable generators, and the Champion 3800 Watt is no exception. This reliable generator is powered by a 224cc hybrid engine. As a result, it can reach up to 4800 watts of starting power. While its continuous power is slightly less at 3800 watts, it is still a force to be reckoned with. However, keep in mind that using propane will lower the amount of continuous power to around 3400 watts. Do not be discouraged, as this is more than enough to fuel any RV and household electronics such as an LCD TV.
You will also be delighted to hear that the Champion 3800 Watt portable generator comes with an electric starter. As a result, starting it in cold weather is not a problem. Additionally, it has a run time of up to 9-10 hours of continuous work, depending on the fuel type you are using. In other words, this portable generator is highly reliable. As a result, it is excellent for prolonged usage in potential emergency situations.
- It has a dual-fuel engine, which means it runs on both gasoline and propane, so it is highly flexible.
- It comes with excellent technical support that lasts a lifetime.
- It is highly reliable due to its’ 224cc Champion engine.
- Some users might be deterred by its’ relatively high level of noise
To sum up, the Champion 3800 Watt portable generator is sturdy and highly dependable. With Champion Power Equipment's lifetime technical support, you can rest assured that the generator will last you a very long time. No matter if you are using it to power an RV for your next camping trip or you need a reliable generator for blackouts, this generator can do it all.
Another great feature of this generator is its robust build. Due to its steel frame, it is durable and somewhat heavy. Luckily, it has wheels that make it highly portable despite its weight of 122 lbs. The Champion 3800 Watt portable generator delivers terrific quality for its price.
- Dual Fuel: Operate your 3800-watt portable generator with gasoline or propane, plus the generator holds 0.6-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric Start: Power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, with its included battery
- Intelligauge: Keep track of voltage, hertz, and runtime hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals. Dimensions-26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches
- Outlets: One 120V 30A RV outlet (TT-30R), one 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R), and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R) - trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- Champion Support: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated specialists
13. Westinghouse WGen5500 Portable Generator - CARB Compliant
The Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable gas generator is a powerhouse for its compact package.
It weighs in at 170 lbs., with this impressive little generator rated at 5500 watts and 6850 peak watts, thanks to a 420cc 4-stroke OHV Westinghouse engine.
It is well-designed for use as a portable emergency power supply. The WGen 5500 has a runtime of 20 hours nonstop on its 6.6-gallon gas fuel tank. It is also equipped with a Transfer Switch outlet that connects straight to standard home outlets, allowing you to power your entire house.
The user-friendly control panel includes the VFT Data Center program, which sends real-time updates on its current operating status for easy maintenance and long service life.
Some attractive additional features of the WGen 5500 portable generator include:
- a hardened tubular steel frame,
- remote start function,
- heavy-duty roll bars,
- ergonomic foam handles for extra comfort and mobility,
- puncture-proof wheels, and
- rubber outlet covers for added protection against the elements.
It is also backed by a 3-year warranty for dedicated, lifetime technical support.
- High power output with minimal risk of high-risk overloads
- Up to 40 percent more efficient than other generators in its class
- High-capacity tank for extended operation
- Heavy—requires considerably more effort to move than expected (even with the wheels)
- No grounding rod connection to protect against electric shock
- Relatively high noise level
The Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator packs a loud and powerful punch, despite its small size. It can easily power most household appliances for prolonged periods, making it an excellent backup power supply during emergencies.
The Transfer Switch Ready outlets also make it easy to connect with electronic devices (without the need for additional power cords or nearby power outlets). Its size and loud operational noise require that it be stored at an ample distance from the house or camp while it is running, though. Thanks to its remote start system, this snag doesn’t pose much of a problem.
- 6000 Running Watts and 7500 Peak Watts; Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 13 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5–20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Outlet; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers
- Plug-and-Play. Comes With Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service.
How Do Portable Generators Work?
In order to understand how generators work it's imperative to look at the various parts.
Portable generators feature a power generator head, a fuel source, an engine as well as power outlets. This is why they are sometimes referred to as gensets or engine-generator sets. Typically, these devices have the following components combined and enclosed in a metal frame:
- Fuel tank
- Internal combustion engine
- Power outlets
The generator head is the component responsible for producing electricity to the power outlets. The gen head is powered by the internal combustion engine, which runs on some kind of fuel, usually diesel, gasoline, natural gas, or liquid propane. Regardless of the fuel type, the engine (often a 4-cycle), provides the mechanical energy needed to power the gen-set by spinning a shaft. The spin speed is maintained by a speed regulator or governor.
As with any mechanical process, cooling and lubrication are required in the moving parts in order to ascertain maximum efficiency. The gen head converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, which is then passed on through the power outlets.
Simply put, a generator moves a magnet near a wire coil in order to create a steady flow of electrons. This flow is harnessed and redirected to the outlets, thus providing electricity to appliances.
If physics isn't your forte, not to fret as there's an analogy that can help you better comprehend how this works with watts, amps, and volts.
A generator works like a water pump, but instead of pushing water through the hose, the magnet pushes electrons. Similar to how a pump applies pressure to water, a gen-set magnet pushes electrons and applies 'pressure' for flow.
These electrons move through a wire until they come into contact with a 'load' such as an appliance, which in turn creates heat or supplies the power required to run that device. The number of electrons in an electrical circuit is known as current, which is measured in amps.
Voltage is the pressure that pushes electrons, and it's measured in volts.
Generators are measured by the amount of power they give out, usually referred to as watts.
As wattage goes up, so do the voltage and current. Watts are categorized into Running Wattage and Starting Wattage. The latter is the additional power required to start up the motor-driven parts while the running watts help to keep an appliance running.
And there you have it, a brief, non-complex explanation of how portable generators work. To ascertain optimum operation and safety, ensure the generator is placed outside. Most portable generators emit carbon monoxide, and carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal. Before running the unit, take some time to learn how to operate it to avoid any risks that come with these devices.
How Do I Choose The Best Portable Generator?
A blackout will leave you without heating/air conditioning systems, refrigerators, freezers, lighting systems, and water pumps – all the conveniences that make for modern living - so an alternate power source will be needed. Because of that, you need the best portable generator there is!
If the outages last for several days – like when caused by a natural disaster – your home could quickly become uninhabitable. The food preserved in your freezer will spoil, your security systems will fail, your sump pump will not work, your water pipes could freeze and burst. And a solar generator may not be able to provide you with all the power your home needs, which is why it's necessary to choose the best portable generator for home use.
Situations like these can be avoided by investing in a top portable generator. While not offering the huge output and automation of a standby generator or a whole house generator this relatively inexpensive solution will let you continue living in relative comfort through any disaster-induced power outage. A good portable generator will allow you to use your vital appliances and lights till the power is restored.
Portable generators are also needed for where power is not available like campsites, outdoor activities, and work sites. The probable use for portable generators is as varied as the number of models in the market.
If you're looking for the best portable generator, there are some key features you need to consider depending on your intended usage of the generator. But there are some general considerations that will help you get the right portable power solution.
1. How Much Power Do I Need?
A good portable generator should be able to comfortably run essential household appliances. The output power of portable generators is rated by startup watts (or peak power) – the momentary power boost required to start an appliances’ motor, and running wattage. So before you purchase a portable generator ensure that it produces enough juice to handle the startup wattage as indicated for each appliance. If you want to know how big of a generator do I need we have written this guide.
2. Fuel Efficiency
It might be impossible to get fuel during a natural disaster. Hence, the best portable generator that can give you the best runtime on a full tank of gas is most desirable.
3. Running Time
Closely related to fuel efficiency, runtime is the number of hours a single full tank can last. It has to do with the tank capacity and the size of the generator. There are powerful portable generators that can run for up to 11 hours nonstop. This is quite important if you need backup power in your home all through the night.
Portable generators are designed to be moved around. But they are not all equal in this regard. The higher the output, the heavier the unit becomes. So if the intended usage for your unit requires constant movement, you should consider the weight and other features like handles and wheels that enhance maneuverability.
5. Conventional or Inverter Generator?
Conventional generators run at full, constant speed and can produce lots of power. But your sensitive home devices are better off powered by an inverter generator because of the clean power output they generate. Also, inverter generators can adjust engine speed according to load, and are therefore more fuel-efficient and run quieter – these properties make them better suited for recreational pursuits. More about traditional vs inverter generators here.
6. Safety Features
Because electricity can be dangerous, safety features are a must for portable generators. When choosing a portable generator, Insist on a unit with:
- Inbuilt surge protectors - this safety feature protects your appliances from voltage spikes.
- Low oil shutdown – a feature that shuts down the engine automatically when the oil is low to prevent permanent
- Spark arrestors – which stops the generator from emitting flammable particles that can cause fire incidences
- Built-in circuit protection sensor - to protect you from electrocution
7. Control Panel Features
Premium portable generators can be started with a push of a button. Other useful control panel features are multiple household plugs, transfer switch ready, voltage selector switch, and an odometer which shows in hours how long the generator has run. A clearly visible fuel gauge is also a plus.
What Is The Best Portable Generator Brand?
The answer to your question "who makes the best portable generators" is Wen.
And the best of the brand is the WEN 56380i Portable Generator
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.