A low battery can be a huge inconvenience when you’re anywhere but home. Smartphones, due to their versatile characteristics, tend to have a shorter battery life than other devices. To say a phone running out of juice isn’t ideal is an understatement. We can barely get by without our handheld assistants. Whether you’re running errands, at work, or on the road, portable phone chargers are as essential to life as oxygen.
The Top 17 Portable Phone Chargers: Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
The PowerCoreII 20000 is the leading portable charger when it comes to charging speed, safety, and compatibility. This top-performing power bank comes with 20000mAh pure power. It also boasts the impressive PowerlQ2.0 technology that facilitates quick charging for your device. The Anker PowerCoreII 20000 comes with a micro USB cable and supports apple cables.
Its 18W output, as well as voltage boost technology, allows you to charge fast. You can charge up to two devices at the same time when using its twin USB output.
- Slim enough to fit in small areas or pockets
- Ergonomic design that enhances your comfort
- Twin USB output ensures you can charge up to two devices at the same time
- Fast charging
- 18-month warranty that gives you value for money
- Comes with an upgraded LED power indicator
- Boasts of 20000mAh power
- Not as fast charging for Apple products as it is for android devices
The Anker PowerCore 10000 is compatible with Samsung Galaxy, iPhone, among other phones. What makes this power bank stand out is its compact size as well as lightweight. Similar to other portable chargers produced by Anker, this power bank comes with a fast-charging technology that ensures your phone, whether android or iOS, charges within the shortest time possible.
Impressively, the Anker PowerCore 10000 comes with a travel pouch in addition to a micro USB cable.
- Boasts of multi protect features that combine 11 safety enhancement components to protect you, your chargers, and your devices.
- High-speed charging capability due to its PowerIQ and voltageBoost technologies
- The compact size ensures it fits well in the smallest of spaces, allowing you to carry it around wherever you go.
- Comes with an Anker 18-month warranty that protects your investment
- It only comes with a single output port, meaning you can’t charge two devices simultaneously.
Boasting of an impressive 22400mAh capacity, the EC Technology 22400-mAh Power Bank is among the most powerful power banks in the market. This bad boy can charge an iPhone 7 approximately nine times without needing a recharge or a galaxy s8 five times on a single charge, making it ideal for heavy charging.
Safety is not compromised with the EC Technology 22400-mAh portable charger as it boasts of short-circuit, over-current, over-charge, and over-voltage protection. This power bank is certified for plane usage due to its extensive safety measures.
- Comes with a 12-month warranty
- 3 USB ports allowing you to charge three devices simultaneously
- Compatible with devices that accept USB cables
- Comes with two micro USB cables
- User manual
- Flame retardant casing that protects the power bank
- Certified for use on a plane due to its adequate safety measures
- Can charge 5V devices like MP3s, PSPs, phones, and tablets
- Not as light as other power banks
The RAVPower 6,700mAh portable charger boasts of an impressive exclusive smart charge technology that enables it to charge smarter and faster than other chargers. It automatically detects your device’s preferred charging range and proceeds to deliver the maximum current, allowing you to charge fast.
This power bank comes with an ergonomic design that is completed with its silver coating, which makes this device aesthetically appealing. The RAVPower 6,700mAh portable charger has four status LED lights to keep you updated on the remaining charge.
- Uses smart charge technology for faster, smoother charging
- Compact design that allows the device to fit perfectly into your hand
- Can charge iPhone 6 twice without a recharge
- Over-current and short-circuit protection that keeps your devices well-protected
- Lightweight for increased portability
- Compatible with several devices like HTC, LG, Droid, Galaxy, Note, iPhone, among others
- Comes with a user guide
- Has only one USB port
This 20100mAh RavPower USB-C power bank can charge smartphones from 0-80% in less than an hour. This robust portable charger comes with a Quickcharge 3.0 technology that allows it to charge devices 75% faster than average.
When buying the RAVPower 20100mAh, you get a device that comes with a lifetime warranty, a user guide, and an adapter that allows you to charge Type-C devices from your micro-USB. This power bank is fully rechargeable in an impressive 4.5 hours using a QC3.O charger or 10.5 hours when using a 5V/2A charger.
- Big capacity of 20100 that allows you to charge several devices without recharging
- Fast charging due to its Quick Charge 3.0 output and input.
- Type-C input capabilities, allowing it to charge a 12-inch MacBook, Samsung Galaxy S8, Huawei devices Mate 10 pro, and even the Nintendo Switch.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty, user guide and a carry pouch
- Has two micr0-USB cables
- Costlier than other power banks in its class
The Ankle PowerCore + 26800PD packs up an incredible amount of power that can charge an iPhone X six times without the need for a recharge. This device is compatible with USB-C phones, tablets, and laptops, making great use of its Power Delivery technology.
One of the best features of the Ankle PowerCore+26800PD is its universal compatibility, which allows this device to charge both USB-A and USB-C charging ports, giving you real value for your money.
- High charging power as it can charge tablets, phones, and USB-C devices.
- Comes with two USB ports and one USB-C port
- Excellent 26,800 mAh capacity that can charge tablets twice and phones up to seven times
- Recharges devices three times due to its Power Delivery technology
- Comes with an 18-month warranty
- The product comes with several accessories like a USB-C wall charger, micro USB cable, and a travel pouch.
- Heavy when compared to other power banks
The RavPower 10000 mAh power bank is designed to offer both power and portability in one product. Despite its reasonably small size, this portable charger packs up the ability to charge an iPhone 7 plus and a Galaxy s8 twice. Its small size allows it to fit comfortably in your palm and pockets when in use.
The presence of a DC 5V/2a input ensures this portable device recharges twice as fast compared to other power banks in its range. Similar to other RAVPower portable chargers, this 10000mAh capacity power bank boasts of world-class protection features from over-charge, over-voltage, over-current.
- Has round corners and a compact design that make it easy to carry around
- Multiple protection features
- Fast charging capacity
- Can charge two devices simultaneously as it has two i-smart ports
- Comes in black and silver color schemes depending on your preferences
- Compatible with iPhones, iPads, and Android devices as well.
- Recharges faster than other power banks in its class
- Doesn’t support Qualcomm Quick charge
If you want an ultra-compact power bank, then you should look no further than the Anker PowerCore+mini. This portable charger comes in the size of a lipstick and can charge your smartphone to 80% before it depletes its charge.
This uniquely designed power bank utilizes a high-speed charging mechanism that allows it to detect your device’s charging preferences to produce the fastest charging speeds. It doesn’t take long to recharge, either. Within four hours, this incredibly compact portable charger can reach 100% when using a 1Amp adapter.
- Comes with an 18- month warranty
- Compact design that enhances portability
- Lightweight enough for ease of movement
- Quick recharge after going empty (3-4 hours)
- Utilizes powerIQ technology that allows it to detect your devices charging preferences and adjust its functionality to allow for fast charging.
- Multi-protect features for increased safety of you and your devices
- It doesn’t have enough capacity to charge powerful devices like the Galaxy S8 or iPhone X to full charge.
When it comes to fast charging capabilities, not many power banks can match up to the Aukey USB C Charger. This device boasts of a foldable plug as well as a form factor that is highly compact to increase compatibility while on the road.
The built-in safeguards help to protect your device from excessive current, overcharging, and overheating, making it extra safe. This power bank charges USB Type-C devices at an impressive 18W on each of its dual ports, thus allowing you to fast charge your XS Max, iPhone XS, or other devices with ease.
- Fast charging capabilities
- Advanced circuitry as well as built-in safeguards protect your smartphone or tablets from overheating, overcharging and excessive current
- Multi-voltage charging that distributes charge to your two devices evenly
- Can charge up to 50% in under half an hour
- Dual port USB
- Comes with a compact design that increases portability
- Only charges USB-C compatible devices
The Jackery Bolt power bank packs up a 6000mAh capacity, which is impressive considering its small size. This power bank comes with built-in cables that enable you to charge your iPhone twice as fast as you would with your standard charger.
The highly compact Jackery Bolt power bank is designed with safety in mind, which is evident in its usage of UL-certified battery cells. With this power bank, you can charge iPhones 6,7, and 8 twice within one and a half hours.
- Fast charging as it uses a built-in iOS-compatible lightning cable.
- The lightning cable is certified by Apple Inc., for use on its products, making this power bank 100% compatible with Apple products
- Charges iPhones twice as fast as regular chargers
- Compact design that can easily fit in the tiniest of spaces or pockets
- Comes with a built-in flashlight that enhances the usability
- Can charge two iPhones simultaneously
- Allows for pass-through charging (using the power bank while it is charging)
- Compatible with iPhone devices only
The iMuto Portable Charger X6 Pro is among the most powerful power banks around. Boasting an impressive 30000mAh of power, the iMuto can charge your QC 3.0 compatible smartphone up to 80% within half an hour. This beast of a power bank can charge the 2016 MacBook an incredible 2.5 times or a Galaxy s7 seven times.
This game-changing charger also boasts of iM-Power and Digi-Power technologies that show you the remaining power in a digital screen. The digital display remains hidden until you activate it. This immensely powerful power bank charges almost all USB powered devices except for smartwatches, Bluetooth headsets, and other devices that run on currents below 1A.
- Massive charging capacity
- Comes with three charging ports
- Universal compatibility
- 0 fast charging
- Come with a digital screen
- Large-sized due to its massive charging capacity
The Xiaomi Powerbank comes with two fast-charging USB ports and utilizes the Quick Charge 3.0 technology for ultra-fast charging. This power bank is known for its compatibility with tablets, smartphones, and notebooks.
Its anti-slip, comfortable exterior enables this powerful portable charger to fit perfectly in your hands or pouch. Impressively, the Xiaomi Mi Power Bank Pro 10000mAh supports small current charging, meaning you can use it to charge your Bluetooth headset and other low power devices.
- High 10000mAh capacity
- Dual USB port ensures that you can charge two devices simultaneously
- Comes with adequate safety-enhancing features that make it appropriate for use on planes
- Compact size despite its large capacity
- Can charge small devices as well
- Made from eco-friendly material (PC+ABS)
- Fast charging technology to charge up your phone in no time
- It takes a considerable amount of time to charge up
The MAXOAK 50,000mAh is a heavy-duty power bank meant for laptops, Notebooks, and iPads. You don’t need to worry about safety as this large capacity portable charger conforms to both UL2056 and UL1642 safety standards.
This unique, high power portable charger is compatible with 14 universal connectors to increase compatibility with different laptops like Dell, Lenovo, Sony, and Acer, among other brands except for Apple laptops. It also comes with multi-protection features that safeguard you and your devices.
- Specifically designed to charge laptops and Notebooks
- UL1642 and UL20156 certified, making it appropriate for charging high power devices
- Rechargeable within 8 hours
- Comes with six output areas, making this device extremely versatile as you can charge your laptop together with your phone and tablet and any other digital devices simultaneously
- Not compatible with Apple devices
- Selective on chargeable laptops
- Not easily portable due to its weight
The Aibocn Power Bank 10,000mAh boasts of a neat, compact design with a fingerprint repelling mechanism that leaves your portable charger looking neat. This small but powerful power bank also comes with two USB ports that manage 1 Amp and 2 Amps output, allowing you to charge two devices simultaneously.
Aibocn 10000mAh also comes with a backup flashlight that can come in handy in case of an emergency or when out camping.
- Utilizes iQuick technology that enables you to fast charge your devices
- Can charge two devices simultaneously despite its reasonably small size
- Has the ability to charge different devices from Apple smartphones, iPads, Samsung Galaxies, Nokia, LG, HTC, and many other smartphones.
- Boasts of intelligent safety protection technology that provides additional safety from over-voltage and over-current.
- Doesn’t recharge as fast as one would like
The Poweradd Pilot 2GS 10000mAh boasts of a unique aluminum cover that makes it both light and durable. Its compact size ensures that this portable charger can fit in the tiniest of pockets, allowing you to charge your devices on the go.
You don’t have to worry about safety as this power bank comes with in-built safeguards that offer over-current, over-voltage, short circuit, and over-charged protection. You also get a 24-month limited guarantee once you purchase this 10000mAh portable charger.
- Compact lightweight design that makes it easy to move around and fit in pockets
- Can charge two devices simultaneously
- LED lights to indicate remaining charge
- Fully chargeable in five hours
- Built-in safeguards for enhanced safety
- Fingerprint and scratch-resistant
- Broad compatibility, making it appropriate for both android and IOS devices
- Comes in over five color options to suit your color preferences
- Tends to lose charging capacity when frequently subjected to overcharging
The Easy Acc 6000 comes with a built-in USB cable that is compatible with most smartphones that use micro ports. This device is smaller than a Galaxy S7, making it extremely convenient to carry using your hand. Its 6000mAh capacity means that you can charge your device up to twice a day without the need to recharge the power bank.
You also get a powerful built-in flashlight once you purchase this compact portable charger. Another feature that makes this device stand out is the smart USB port that helps you achieve optimum charging performance depending on your device.
- Utilizes smart technology for fast charging
- 2 USB ports that allow for simultaneous charging
- A built-in micro USB cable for added convenience
- Superior security protection
- Lightweight and compact
- Comes with one standard USB cable, meaning you’ll have to buy IOS cables separately
The iMuto 20000mAh power bank racks up enough power to charge the Galaxy s6 almost six times and the iPhone 6 eight times, making it appropriate for hiking, camping, and long flights. This highly powerful portable charger comes with two fast-charging, intelligent USB ports that allow you to charge two devices simultaneously.
This highly capable power bank also comes with multiple smart protection mechanisms that keep your devices extra safe from over-voltage, over-charging, short-circuit and over-current dangers.
- Comes with an 18-month warranty
- You get a waterproof pouch that allows you to store your device when embarking on your outdoor adventures.
- Built-in, powerful flashlight
- High compatibility with both tablets and smartphones
- Can charge PS4 pads, Nintendo Switch, Bluetooth speakers and MP3 players, making it highly versatile
- Can charge two devices simultaneously
- Fast charging
- Compact size despite its powerful 20,000 mAh capacity
- Digital display
- Slightly heavy due to its powerful capacity
What Key Features Should Portable Phone Chargers Have?
- Power (mAh or milliamp hours)
- Speed of charging
- Number of USB ports
Until the phone manufacturers come up with longer lasting batteries, the portable phone charger is a life saving device to help get you through your day!
With such a device at your disposal, you no longer have to worry about receiving the dreaded low battery notification.
How Do You Choose The Best Portable Charger For Your Needs?
There are so many portable phone chargers available in the market, that finding the best product for your devices can be quite a daunting task.
Some power banks are often over priced despite their low quality, while others are counterfeit products designed to rob unknowing buyers off their hard-earned cash.
To help you select the best portable phone charger, we have compiled a list of 17 of the best power banks we have found in the market today. We certainly hope that you find this information useful!
How Do Portable Cell Phone Chargers Work?
Portable phone charges or power packs, as they are also known, charge via a USB port. You will simply connect your phone plug to the USB port and begin charging. Portable phone chargers usually come with various cables so that you can attach to your phone and other devices such as iPads, Samsung and Android cell phones.
Charging usually takes from 1 to 2 hours. The charger will let you know when the phone is fully charged. You should then remove your phone from the charger because you do not want to charge the phone too much after the charging is complete.
If you have left your phone off a charger for a long period of time, you will need to place it on the charger again even if you have not been using it at all. This is because the battery will still drain even if the phone is not being used.
Do Portable Chargers Damage Your Phone?
In short, no.
Portable phone chargers are meant to charge your phone and not damage it. However, we believe that it is important to use a good charger. Very cheap power banks or models that are not meant for your phone can cause problems.
Paying for a quality charger is always going to be the best option for you. Avoid knockoffs as this will only lead to disappointment. Choose one of our recommended models and you can’t go wrong.
How Long Do Portable Phone Chargers Last?
The short answer is, it depends…
Every full charge and discharge causes some battery loss. A quality device will definitely outlast a cheap and nasty one by a very long margin!
Tips for getting the most life out of your power pack include:
- Don’t use the device in extreme heat
- Use in well ventilated areas
- Always use a model compatible with your device
- Don’t wait until all the juice has gone before re-charging your power pack
What Is Battery mAh?
A milliampere hour (mAh) is 1000th of an ampere hour (Ah). Both measures are typically used to describe the energy charge that a rechargeable battery will hold and how long a device will run before the battery needs to be recharged.
To give an example, a high capacity power pack like the Anker PowerCore II 20000 (our number 1 choice), has a 20,000 mAh capacity and will be able to charge your device 4 times and still have some charge left.
Now that we have discussed some of the best power banks in the market, and answered some of your questions, the ball is in your court to select one that perfectly meets your needs.
There are several factors to keep in mind when selecting the best portable charger for your phone. The first and most important feature is the capacity or power. If you have several devices that you want to charge simultaneously, then it will be advisable to go for power banks with high charging capacities.
Fast charging properties are also essential to consider, especially if you want to juice up your phone in quick enough time. Some high-quality portable chargers will use the latest fast charging technologies, meaning you will need to check on such factors if you want to spend as little time possible charging your device.
The size of a portable charger is another factor to consider. While large portable chargers will come with increased charging capacity, such devices tend to be relatively bulky and hard to move around as compared to their smaller counterparts.
Check on accessories as well. Most users prefer power banks that come with extra USB cables, in-built torches, and LED lights that serve as indicators. You should also consider accessories such as a pouch for carrying the power bank whenever you are on the move.
The portable phone chargers we have discussed in our review are among the best in the industry, meaning it shouldn’t be too difficult to find one that best meets your needs.
Remember, it is advisable to check on warranties and safety enhancements before making a purchase. Doing so will ensure that your safety and that of your devices are guaranteed at all times.
Our #1 Recommended Portable Phone Charger is…
When it comes to charging speed, safety, and compatibility the Anker PowerCoreII 20000 is our #1 choice.