516 customer reviewsClick To Read Reviews
Key Features and Benefits
- Powerful Output: delivering a solid 5500 Running Watts and 6850 Peak Watts, the Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator packs sufficient power to run two refrigerators, a freezer, gas-heater, two sump pumps, lights, phones, a router, a computer, and a TV simultaneously.
- Super-Efficient: the Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator boasts an impressive 14-hour running time with a 50% load on a mere 6.6-gallon of Gasoline. That translates to more than 2 hours for every gallon of fuel, making it one of the most efficient portable generator in its class. Efficiency is very critical in times of prolonged power outages caused by natural disasters, when fuel might not be readily available.
- Enhanced Safety: it features 2 GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) which protects you from accidental electrocution. It does this by detecting faulty transmission of the alternating current through alternate paths and stopping it, so you’re are not electrocuted. It also features circuit breakers which protects your devices and appliances as well as the generator itself. It also has inbuilt overload prevention, and automatic low oil shutdown to protect the WGen5500’s engine from damage by shutting the engine down if the oil level falls dangerously low or if the oil overheats and loses viscosity.
- Quiet Operation: the Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator features the cutting-edge Pulse-Flo muffler- a huge muffler and catalyst which keeps the operating noise levels at 72dbs. This is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner and will let you carry out a conversation without raising your voice.
- Durability: this portable generator is powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine built with a long-lasting Cast Iron Sleeve. This makes it extra dependable and rugged. A digital hour meter is installed on the control panel to ensure regular maintenance is carried out, further extending the service life.
- Transfer Switch Ready: the WGen 5500 portable generator conveniently offers 2 120V 20A (5-20R) and 1 L14-30 30A 120/240V twist-lock outlet that makes it easy for you to connect your WGen5500 and power your home through a transfer switch.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to assemble and use
- Excellent fuel efficiency
- Quiet operation
- Durable and easy to maintain
- Unmatchable manufacturer support
- CARB Compliant
- No push button electric start
What People Who Bought The Westinghouse WGen5500 Love About It
“The engine speed adjustment/frequency adjustment makes it easy to monitor and control the frequency as needed. This singular function makes this portable generator the BEST I ever used! The Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator is so easy to assemble and use. It runs smoothly and efficiently. This unit has all I ever needed in a Portable Generator.”
“The Westinghouse WGen 5500 is nicely packaged! the included instructions were incredibly easy to follow. The unit appears to be solidly built and requires very little assembly”
“I got the WGen 5500 for my hunting camp where it has run smoothly for about 150 hours. During Hurricane IRMA, I brought it home and it has been running nonstop for 224 hours now. It’s powering a large A/C unit, refrigerator, deep freezer, well pump, TV, DVD player and microwave. It has never been turned off since the storm hit and it hasn’t even as much as sputtered, despite using gas from questionable source. Thank you for being one of the few companies that still manufacture amazing equipment.”
|Peak Amps||23 amps|
|Running Amps||28 amps|
|AC Voltage||120/240 Volts|
|AC Frequency||60 Hz|
|Engine Horse Power (HP)||13 HP|
|Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR)||Yes|
|Engine Type||OHV 4 Stroke|
|Sound Levels (dBA)||72 dBA|
|Recommended Oil||SAE 10W30|
|Oil Capacity||1.1 qt. (37.2 oz.)|
|Low Oil Shutdown||Automatic|
|Fuel Type||Unleaded Gasoline|
|10% Ethanol or less|
|Fuel Shut Off||Manual|
|Fuel Tank Material||Steel|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||6.6 gal. (25 L)|
|Run Time at 25% Load (hrs.)||20 hrs.|
|Run Time at 50% Load||15 hrs.|
|Gasoline Fuel Gauge||Yes|
|AC Outlets||(2) Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|(1)120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Transfer Switch Ready||Yes|
|Overload Protection (circuit breaker)||Yes|
|Wheel Kit Included||Yes|
|Canada CSA Compliant||Yes|
|Residential Warranty||3 Years or 1000 hrs.|
|Commercial Warranty||6 Months or 1000 hrs.|
|Length||27.2 in (691 mm)|
|Width||26.1 in (663 mm)|
|Height||26 in (640 mm)|
|Dry Unit Weight||174 lbs (88 kg)|
|Shipping Weight||182 lbs (91.6 kg)|
Best suited for…
This Westinghouse WGen5500 is best used as an emergency power back-up for homes, for camping, and for powering tools at worksites.
Reasons to buy
If you are in the market for an excellent all-rounder portable generator, look no further.
The totally impressive Westinghouse Wgen5500 packs lots of power, is very easy to assemble and use, and comes with the high quality, dependability and ruggedity that the Westinghouse brand is known for. It has the most efficient and quietest engine in its class.
And all this at a very affordable price tag being cheaper than the similarly rated WEN 56682 portable generator.
Westinghouse has been at the forefront of cutting edge technology in developing power systems for more than a century. This has made them one of the trusted brands for dependable quality electrical appliances, including portable generators.
The Westinghouse WGen 5500 portable generator is one of such products that is emblematic of the trusted Westinghouse brand. The Westinghouse range of generators are designed and manufactured with you in mind – powerful, easy-to-use, quiet and very rugged.